Yesterday the Insulin Dependant Diabetes Trust http://www.iddt.org/ held their annual conference at the Park Hotel in Kettering.
It was well attended and speakers gave updated advice on the topic. Having myself spoken and run a workshop on aspects of diet many people wanted to get ideas for adapting recipes plus tasty foods to make. I have already compiles some recipes for IDDT and will be doing more as well as putting ones on my blog.
Diabetes is a major problem and affects about 3 million people with more estimated to have the condition and not know it.
There are 2 types of diabetes;
- Type 1 which needs insulin for treatment and type 2 which can be often managed by diet and medication.
- Type 2 diabetes also tends to be linked with obesity and the onset is slower and often people do not know they have it
- About 90% of people have type 2 diabetes
- Signs and symptoms of type 2 diabetes tend to be tiredness, passing extra urine, feeling thirsty and needing to drink more plus repeated infections of various types
- If you feel you have a problem do go and discuss this with your doctor or nurse